Veterans Benefits

Veterans Benefits

Download as PDF

The School Certifying Official (SCO), located in the Registrar’s Office (Room 109, St Mary's Hall) serves as a liaison between the University and the Veterans Administration. Veterans, Military Students, and dependents, who will be registering for the first time must apply for their benefit by submitting VA 22-1990 or VA 22-2990e (transfer of entitlement) with the Veterans Administration. Application for VA Benefits is available online through the Department of Veteran Affairs online application ( Once the application is processed, the VA will send the student a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). This needs to be sent to the SCO prior to any enrollment certification.  After the student has registered for the appropriate courses, the student needs to submit an Enrollment Verification Form so the enrollment certification will be transmitted to the Veterans Administration to secure payment of benefits.  Veterans who transfer from another institution must complete VA Form 22-1995, “Request for Change of Program or Place of Training,” available online through the Department of Veterans Affairs website: The veteran must submit the COE along with the Enrollment Verification Form to the SCO. The enrollment certification will then be transmitted to the Veterans Administration to secure payment of benefits.  It is the Veteran Student’s responsibility to submit an Enrollment Verification form each semester after they have registered that they plan to continue to use their VA benefits, so that their credits may be certified with the VA in a timely manner.

Please contact the School Certifying Official, Amy Rockwell at 610-519-4034 for more information or for any questions that you may have.

More information can be found at military.html.

Veteran and Military Students

Military Tuition Benefit Verification: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For more information about VA educational benefits, please visit the official Veteran Affairs website at The VA determines student eligibility to receive educational benefits. Students should apply for their VA educational benefit electronically by utilizing the ( or eBenefits ( websites. Students will fall into one of two categories: “Initiating VA benefits for the First Time” or “Resuming VA Benefits”.

Certification depends upon a student’s VA determined eligibility, enrollment status and program of approved study. To verify that either a degree or a non-college degree (NCD) is approved for VA benefits, students can visit WEAMS This website has a search filter from which students can look up Villanova University to see a list of approved degree programs and Non-College Degree (NCD) Programs.

At Villanova, Veteran certifications are processed within the Office of the Registrar by a School Certifying Official (SCO). SCO contact information is provided at Students should notify their Program Coordinator or online Enrollment Representative as well as the SCO of any enrollment changes.

If a student would like to check on the status of their application, remaining entitlement, or any other general questions, they should contact the Department of Veteran Affairs educational hotline: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-4424551) or submit a question electronically through Ask a Question. Villanova personnel cannot provide advisement or counseling related to Veteran benefits.

Military members who are eligible for Military Tuition Assistance (TA) can use TA for approved NCD courses. TA can lessen a student’s financial concerns considerably since it now pays up to 100 percent of tuition expenses for semester.

In accordance with Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e), Villanova University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a Covered Individual borrow additional funds, on any Covered Individual because of the Covered Individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to Villanova University due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the VA under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33.

Covered Individuals should provide to the School Certifying Official (SCO) (email:; phone: 610.519.4034), no later than the first day of a course of education: a certification of eligibility for entitlement to education assistance, along with the Enrollment Verification Form. A certificate of eligibility can also include a statement of benefits obtained from the VA website, e-benefits or a VAF 28-1905 form for Chapter 31 authorization purposes.

This policy applies during the period beginning when a certification of eligibility is provided to the SCO (no later than the first day of a course of education) and ending on the earlier of one of the below dates:

  • The date on which payment from the VA is made to Villanova University. 
  • 90 days after the date Villanova University certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.