Policies regarding the satisfactory/unsatisfactory grading option are listed below:
- The satisfactory/unsatisfactory option (S/U) may be selected for the non-business elective and free electives only. Major, minor, or concentration courses cannot be taken on a S/U basis.
- Only one non-business elective or free elective course per semester may be taken on a S/U basis.
- A student must have junior or senior standing with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5.
- A student must declare election of the S/U option by the end of the drop/add period (first week of the semester) at The Clay Center or the Registrar’s Office. Advisor approval is required.
- The grading scheme may not be changed after the drop/add period.
- The satisfactory “S”/unsatisfactory “U” grade will be shown on the transcript but will not be reflected in the grade point average (GPA).
- The grade “S” is equal to C or better.
- A student is not permitted to officially retake a course with the letter grade option, if the course has been taken previously with the S/U option.
- An unsatisfactory “U” grade will not count toward degree requirements. The particular course in which an unsatisfactory grade was earned need not be repeated. However, another course may need to be taken.
Note: VSB does not encourage this option.