Citizens and Eligible Non-Citizens

In order to receive federal or state financial assistance, a student must be a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. National, a U.S. permanent resident who has a Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551, since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551, before 1997), or an otherwise eligible non- citizen with a temporary resident card (I-688); or must possess one of the following:

  • A Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) with an appropriate endorsement;
  • A Form I-181 or I-181B that has been signed by a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) district director; 
  • An official statement granting asylum in the US: or
  • Other proof from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that one is in the U.S. for other than a temporary purpose.

Students should check with the Office of Financial Assistance at Villanova University to see what documents are required. Students in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa only, or on a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa only, may not receive federal or state student aid, nor can those who possess only a notice of approval to apply for permanent residence (I-171 or I-464A).

Limited need-based University funds are available to International Students and Undocumented students who live in the U.S. without an approved visa, or without permanent residency/citizenship. For complete application information check the International Students Services Office website: